background

Friday, November 2, 2012

Thanksgiving Heart Preparation.

I think we have already established that I cry as often as you can find a rerun of Friends on tv. If football makes me cry, it only logical follows that so also do many many things. Well today friends there were buckets of tears as I began reading One Thousand Gifts.

I remember when it first came out, the Zon (Amazon.com) told me I would like it. Fool that I am, I didn't fully trust the Zon's recommendation; and so I put it on my wish list thinking I might get to it someday. Slowly I started hearing people talk about how great One Thousand Gifts is. It started being recommended to me, so I decided that November would be a great month to read a book about thankfulness. I invited my roommates to join in, and I started reading yesterday. Oh how I wish I would have trusted the Zon and bought the book two years ago. I have to force myself to keep from reading more, and instead meditate on the dosage that I have been given.

Ann Voskamp's words are like dark chocolate melting in your mouth and warming your insides. The are profoundly poetic, and I find that I prefer to read them aloud. I thought I was a thankful person, and now I am broken hearted over the arrogance of my unthankfulness. Although only two chapters in, I highly recommend that you join myself and my roommates, and make it part of your Thanksgiving celebrating. I submit this sampling to entice you:

"I wonder too... if the rent in the canvas of our life backdrop, the losses that puncture our world, our own emptiness might  actually become places to see. 
To see through to God.
That that which tears open our soul, those holes that splatter our sight, may actually become the thin, open places to see through the mess of this place to heart-aching beauty beyond. To Him. To the God whom we endlessly crave."


No comments:

Post a Comment