background

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tree Trimming

Another title for this blog post could have been, "My mom and I are sentimental saps." That is really what this post is about. 

Over Thanksgiving I got my belly full of turkey, and sat back and let the tryptophan lead me into a food coma. While many people gear up to go Black Friday shopping,* Mom and I prepare ourselves for a day full of memories. Our Christmas tree is one big, pine scented scrapbook of our lives. We don't know how to decorate our tree without crying.

Walking down the wooded path.
Getting a tree has been the same every year that I can remember. We call the Christmas Tree farmer, and let him know that we are on our way. Dad, Adam, Kurt, and I, and for the last two years Jack, load into our truck and head over. When we get there we walk down a long wooded path. It opens up into a field full of trees just waiting to be selected to be taken home and covered with lights and cheer. When we were little we would play hide and seek among all of the trees.

We always argue over how tall the tree should be. I am on the taller side of the argument, and contrary to popular belief, I don't always win. The tree farmer cuts down our tree. We bring it home and Mom declares that is the best tree we've ever had, even if it is a bit small this year. After making sure the tree is secure, straight, and watered, the boys depart to do something manly like watch football or repair a toilet (they really did that this year), while mom and I are left to decorate the tree, because "you two love that sentimental girlie stuff." Kurt did put the lights on for us this year, which was a huge help, thanks Kurt!
Looking for just the right one.

Tree Picked

Adam adding water.


Mom and I then start to pull the ornaments out of boxes and place them on our tree. They remind us of places we've been and people we love. We tear up over the ones that remind us of people who are no longer with us.


When my mom was little some of her relatives didn't have enough money to buy presents for everyone. Instead they collected nuts from their yard and painted them making these ornaments.


This is one of the ornaments that used to be on my Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Don's tree. It was one of my favorites when I was little. Now it gets to be on our tree.

Every year my Aunt Lori gets us ornaments. Last year I asked for a lion to represent Aslan.
My Dad's Aunt Emma made this beaded bell, we have a few of them on our tree.
Three pairs of baby shoes for the three of us kids.

Mom brought this home from her family trip to Hawaii, it was the last trip they took before we lost Grandma.

Grandpa's loved to play monopoly especially with his grandkids. We got him this money clip one year for Christmas. I don't think he ever used it, but Boardwalk with a Hotel was his favorite way to take us down, and it reminds us of him. If we landed on Boardwalk, he would sit back in his chair like a king, half smoked cigarette in hand, and gleefully exclaim "Oh yes, my most expensive one." The butterfly was on his flowers at his funeral. 


This year we lost a big beautiful tree that stood in the middle of our yard. This tree provided our house with shade and privacy. It provided a home for countless squirrels, which provided us with countless hours of entertainment. You know how much we love squirrels, and they seriously yelled at us for taking down their home. All this adds up to us being pretty devistated about losing our tree so i decided to make us an ornament from the saw shavings.


Our tree in the center, on a summer day.

The top of the tree on Easter when we released sky lanterns.



As the squirrels call it; The Massacre
Drying out the wood and filling the ornament.

A new memory added to our Christmas tree.
What memories are on your tree?


*Black Friday was named thusly because it is the day that the stores ledgers go from being in the red to being in the black, therefore it was meant to be a positive name, instead of the negative one that it has become. I prefer the postivie meaning.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my heart swells with love. Thank you for saying the thoughts in my head!!
    You made me cry at work!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, That was so beautifully written and very touching!! Precious memories of our families are
    true treasures. Such a great tradition for your family!! Love ya, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin That was a beautiful gift to your family! I love the traditions that we make each year more than any gift from the store! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,

    This is a wonderful piece! I see why your mom is so very proud! I hope your holidays and every day continue to be filled with many, many memories!

    Teresa Headley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is legit. I'm probably going to have to write a Christmas ornament blog post myself. We don't have a bunch of sentimental ones like you though. Ours are mostly lame, haha. But we make a big deal of it every year when my sister and I put up these macaroni ornaments we made when we were little kids. We give them the central places of prominence. Here's my snowman: http://on.fb.me/V6jwHh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, and Jon, Love the snowman!!!! He is totally sentimental.

    ReplyDelete