background

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trick or Treat Memories

I'm all set up. I've got some Halloween music playing.  My Jack-O-Lantern is lit and better that ever!!! Don't you agree?


My stash of candy is by the door waiting to go. I hope it's enough. It is full of Reese's peanut butter cups, Grandpa's favorite. It's at this time of year that I miss my grandpa the most. His birthday is in October, and I think he just liked to claim the entire month. He always made sure to hand out full sized candy bars to the many many trick-or-treaters that came to his door. Grandpa never had a lot of money, but he never skimped on dessert.  He loved watching all of the neighborhood kids come to his door year after year. As a kid growing up his neighborhood was epic when you measured your haul at the end of the night. My own neighborhood was fun, but Grandpa's was where the candy was at. Over the years I made appearances as a crayon, Princess Diana, The Statue of Liberty, a Witch, a ladybug.

My neighborhood was pretty spread out so my Dad would hitch our wagon to his tractor and fill it full of hay. All of the neighbor kids met at our house and Dad took us door to door together in one big group. The very first year there were only four of us in the whole neighborhood. We got pretty incredible homemade treats that year, because the neighbors were so excited to have kids finally trick or treating in it again. Now our neighborhood is much bigger. Too many kids to fit in our hay wagon, and many more houses to stop at.  My last year trick-or-treating was my favorite. My next door neighbor, Kristina and I dressed up as old ladies together. Our acting skills could have won us Emmies that night, and they did get us kicked out of our local mall.

The Trick-Or-Treaters have arrived, so I must go, but what are your favorite Halloween memories?





2 comments:

  1. I want to see a picture of you as Princess Diana!

    P.S. A story of Chicago wthout pants came up and I thought of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if we have a pic, it was 1996 the october right after her death. I found this old dark green velvet ball gown in our closet and wore my tiara from when I was crowned Mini Miss Lorena.

    I will never forget being outside the Rain Forest Cafe (and all over Chicago for that matter) and you shouting "I forgot pants people!" That was the weekend you introduced us to koalaing.

    ReplyDelete